Last active: Never
Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Goay Aquatic

Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites   Post new thread Poll:
Author: Subject: New Life Spectrum Ick Shield Powder - Eradicate Ich For Good In 3 Weeks!
defaultname365
Excited

Awards

cool.gif posted on 5-8-2015 at 16:39 Reply With Quote
New Life Spectrum Ick Shield Powder - Eradicate Ich For Good In 3 Weeks!

Hi,

Quite new to this forum but not to this hobby (close to 3 years with marine hobby).

For years (and I'm not kidding) I have struggled with the two dreaded words - White Spot and Snake Oil. The latter are so called 'reef-safe' meds that aren't worth trying. At the end of this write up I will tell you of a potentially DT safe "method" to eliminate Ich.

Finally, I truly believe, the dark days are over. Famous brand "New Life Spectrum" (nlspectrum.co.uk) have come up with the fourth method of treatment in a bottled/consumer version (finally!). lol.gif

http://i.imgur.com/xey0Bc3.jpg

NLS Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCv16RaqFrCpnRaguy7JITiw/videos

Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F2ptQLh8Tuo

First, a walkthrough of the pros and cons of proper Ich treatment:

1. Copper treatment
Pros: Eradicates ich in (usually) 3 weeks, easy to use, easy to control (e.g. Cupramine) and most fish can tolerate well
Cons: Some more sensitive fish (e.g. Angelfish and Butterflyfish) don't fare so well, Reading the test kit may be difficult, deadly if overdosed (lost quite a few fishes especially the prized Flame Angel!)

2. Hyposalinity
Pros: Easy on the fish, easy to perform, cheaper
Cons: A real challenge to control water parameters (pH / kH), keeping it at 1.008 ppt salinity is challenging (1 day at 1.011 and ich could survive!), getting back up to normal salinity is quite risky (1.008 -> 1.026 should be done in 1 week), can't cure any other disease

3. Tank transfer method (TTM)
Pros: Almost none except eradicates ich if done properly
Cons: Stressful on the fish(es), stressful on the aquarist (need to ensure each tank is properly sanitized) and have to be done in a timely manner (3 days per transfer), can only cure ich

4. a) Quinine Sulfate
Pros: Eradicates ich quickly (1-2 weeks)
Cons: Half-life (effectiveness) is short (48-72 hours), ammonia spikes, fish may lose appetite, secondary infection, sensitive critters not so tolerable, expensive (source:- can check on NFP website), dosage may vary due to various aquarium factors, water change required every 48-72 hours due to half-life

4. b) Chloroquine Phosphate
Pros: Eradicates ich in 3 weeks and not a day longer required (half-life is long), highly effective and stable (1 dose), sensitive critters tolerates well, little to no loss of fish appetite, safe for inverts (non-coral) like snails, slightly cheaper than Quinine, can overdose slightly with little to no effect
Cons: Dosage may vary due to various aquarium factors, ammonia spikes, can be broken down by reef lights
Neutral: No water change required/recommended - personally did not do a water change for 21 days due to fear of ammonia spike (spikes occur when CP is first added)

The product I am referring is New Life Spectrum Ick Shield Powder

http://www.amazon.com/New-Life-Spectrum-Shield-Powder/dp/B00MNQWACU

The founder of New Life Spectrum, Pablo Teepoot was frustrated with constant Ich battles, and finally came up with this product.

Read all about it here:
 http://www.reef2rainforest.com/2014/09/17/new-life-spectrum-premieres-product...

I was close to giving up on treating Ich. My personal belief - Cryptocaryon Irritans can attain immunity against copper. This is my personal experience as I quarantined fishes for 8 weeks at 0.6ppm with Cupramine and Ich still existed! Baffled, I finally gave CP a go.

My quarantine procedure is as follows:
a) Moved all my fishes from 120 gallon QT to a small 10 QT (x2). Separated the aggressors / non-aggressors for each QT.
b) Changed water almost 80% (QT have been running with no fishes for months so bio-filter is present)
c) Added "Ick Shield Powder" on Day 1 on both QT
d) No water changes done, fed fish normally
e) On Day 22 (after 21 full days), transferred non-aggressive fish first to DT
f) On Day 23, transferred the more aggressive fish to DT

That's all there is to this method. Word of warning; DO NOT USE ICK SHIELD POWDER IN DT.

Ick Shield Powder is effective to kill tomite/trophont stages, whereas Copper only does free-swimming tomite stage.

To make things even more effective (if that's something aquarists choose to do), NLS also has Ick Shield Pellets. These pellets contain Chloroquine Phosphate and is ingested by the fish and in a QT with Ick Shield Powder; this will be almost a double kill to the Ich.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Dpets&field-keyw...

Interestingly, Ick Shield Pellets can be used in a display tank. How effective it is? I have not personally tried it, but word of caution from the manufacturer; do not get the product close to corals and feed fishes in an open space in the aquarium. Also, beware of Clownfish that take the pellets to their host (e.g. Anemone).

Going back to Ick Shield Powder, it really worked wonders for me. I so wish this product was more in the open. There are aquarists already using CP but dosage (and supplier) varies. NLS is famous for their fish food products and they put their reputation on the line with this product. Kudos to them!

Availability: Unfortunately I had to purchase from Amazon US, as local LFS do not carry them. This product was released in September 2014 (less than a year ago) so perhaps it is yet to be popularized. If there is a local LFS carrying this, do share.

*Also worth noting is the product New Life Spectrum HEX SHIELD Pellets. After doing a bit of digging, they contain Metronidazole to treat internal and external fish diseases. A genuinely ingenious idea to put this med in food form. I have ordered the Ick Shield Pellets and HEX SHIELD Pellets and waiting for arrival.

Fish list:
- Blue Tang
- Sailfin Tang
- Longfin Bannerfish
- Yellowtail Demoiselle
- False Percula Clownfish
- Fire Gobbies

10G Coral QT
10G Fish QT
220G DT - FOWLR
harvin6
Excited

Mood: No Mood

Awards

[*] posted on 28-9-2017 at 16:46 Reply With Quote

hi sorry to bump an old thread, may i ask , if you ich issues have returned after using this. Im planning to qt all fishes before i put them in the dt. So im planning to use this product in qt .
defaultname365
Excited

Awards

[*] posted on 23-10-2017 at 14:59 Reply With Quote

Quote:
Originally posted by harvin6
hi sorry to bump an old thread, may i ask , if you ich issues have returned after using this. Im planning to qt all fishes before i put them in the dt. So im planning to use this product in qt .

In my opinion, if new arrivals - - I would recommend copper treatment for minimum 2 weeks or Tank Transfer Method. I am now researching/experimenting on Tank Transfer Method. All you need is two 'containers' with basic filtration. Every 3 days (less than 72 hours) move fishes from one container to the next. The previous container, sterilize it with bleach / let it dry for 3 days. Repeat until 4 transfers are made.

I have used Ick Shield Powder - - but found that very sensitive fishes such as Angelfish / certain Wrasse do not tolerate CP very well.

10G Coral QT
10G Fish QT
220G DT - FOWLR
Post new thread Poll:

Go To Top

Macallum Aquarium