Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites   Post new thread Poll:
Author: Subject: DIY Aquarium Cooling Tower System
bryantleong
Addicted

Mood: No Mood

Awards

[*] posted on 25-7-2010 at 03:35 Reply With Quote
DIY Aquarium Cooling Tower System

Suddenly think of this cooling system for aquarium. Don't know this kind of design can cool down reef tank temperature or not?
Anyone here try this before? How is the result?

Please refer to the diagram below.
View User's Profile View All Posts By User U2U Member This User Has MSN Messenger
bryantleong
Addicted

Awards

[*] posted on 25-7-2010 at 03:39 Reply With Quote
Cooling Tower Diagram

Attachment:
Image: Click Image To Enlarge
Download: Cooling Tower.jpg
Filesize: 22.7kb
This file has been downloaded 2607 time(s)
View User's Profile View All Posts By User U2U Member This User Has MSN Messenger
bryantleong
Addicted

Awards

[*] posted on 25-7-2010 at 03:42 Reply With Quote

Hope you guys understand what am I drawing....
philip
Nothing to do

Awards

[*] posted on 25-7-2010 at 09:41 Reply With Quote

It won't work well bro! will only help reduce less than 1'C only unless u add an aluminum heat zink but assume it only help reduce less than 2'C. This just my 2cent and subjecting to less than 2 feet tank, it also depending on room heat environment (number fans added are useless if room heat is bad).
bryantleong
Addicted

Awards

[*] posted on 25-7-2010 at 09:54 Reply With Quote

True also bro Philip. This is refer to the industrial cooling tower, but their scenario is reduce heat maybe from 150'c to 50'c which almost the same as environment temp.
For this design maybe can reduce 1 or 2'c from the normal environment temp.
bryantleong
Addicted

Awards

[*] posted on 25-7-2010 at 14:06 Reply With Quote

How about increase the speed of the fan? Will the temp go lower?
stinky
Too Bored

Mood: Recovery

Awards

[*] posted on 25-7-2010 at 21:03 Reply With Quote

Me no engineer ... but will it help if the water at the top flow down a piece of cloth? This way, water flows down slower, and have more time to cool down via evaporation.

Established Since: 14 Feb 2007 ... No. of Crashes Since Setup : 1 x crack hose, 3 x KH, 3 x Chiller, 1 x Electricity Wire Burnt out, 1 x White Spots, 1 x K. Pests Since Setup : 3 x eunicid worm (6ft, 3ft, 4 inches), 2 x flatworms, 5 x nudi, continous aptiasia, hairy crabs, fast growing polyps >Remember to quarantine!!<
fox1987
Addicted

Awards

[*] posted on 25-7-2010 at 21:08 Reply With Quote

This Design looks familiar. It looks like Centralize AircoN Radiator to me. Like those use in Shopping mall. Am I right ?
nix74
Addicted

Awards

[*] posted on 25-7-2010 at 21:29 Reply With Quote

This design would not bring down too much of the temperature, unless you are forcing in high pressure air, which is much colder then room temperature.

Further the amount of water evaporated from your tank will be tremendous

Try Use TEC technology if you want to bring down the temp further for nano tank, else just buy a chiller.

Just my 2 cent of advice.

bataque
Nothing to do

Mood: Let's Get Rockin'

Awards

[*] posted on 25-7-2010 at 21:46 Reply With Quote

I believe, this kind of cooling tower is just like having a fan on top of your tank. It can only bring the water temperature to the equilibrium of the ambient temperature. If the surrounding of your tank is hot, I don't think the tank can go any lower than that....If the surrounding is cool...then it's worth a try...Just my 2 cents.
Maybe you can try it out and tell me that I'm wrong....All the best.

{Display Tank = 24"L x 20"W x 24"H } {Sump = 20"L x 18"W x 18"H} {Skimmer = RM 6"D x 24"H Becket pwd by Rio20} {Lights = 2 x Dymax Clip On 150W MH + 2 x ATI Blueplus 24W T5HO} {Chilling = Resun 650} {Denitrator = RM Sulphur Reactor} {Flow = 3500lph return pump + 2 x Seio 620}
View User's Profile E-Mail User View All Posts By User U2U Member This User Has MSN Messenger bataque's Yahoo
MapleReef
Chui Sui King ^_^

Awards

[*] posted on 26-7-2010 at 21:00 Reply With Quote

It would only add to more water evaporation and bite the bullet and purchase a reliable marine chiller.

Just a few weeks ago we had experienced a week of heat wave of over 40˚ Celsius and before that I had never had top worry about heat issue until this darn heat wave came along and bam ... before I knew it I've lost quite a few of my nice and exotic SPS and LPS colonies even after I've added a new (my very first unit) chiller.

It'll take a while for the corals to acclimatise to it's natural "temperate" environment ... IMHO.

Paul
ferrari_ng
Chui Sui King ^_^

Awards

[*] posted on 26-7-2010 at 23:06 Reply With Quote

U can insert bio ball in the chamber to extend the contact time of water and cold air, but there is not much helping too (tried before). Chiller still the best, trust me roll.gif

People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.
GEKHOO
Normal Member

Mood: ......... :D :singing::singing::singing::singing::singing:

Awards

[*] posted on 27-7-2010 at 08:26 Reply With Quote

d bearing of top ventilation fan will corrode very fast due to salt water...n oso need 2 have auto top-up system...

Main Tank : 48"(L)x 24"(W)x 30"(H)
Sump Tank : 30"(L)x 16"(W)x 16"(H)
Return Pump : Ehiem 1262
Wave :Seio620 x1, Sunsun x1
Skimmer : Run with Rio 3100
Chiller : Resun CL650 + Aquanic 1500
DIY Reacter : Rowaphos, Denirate, Surphur.
Lighting : MH 150w SolarMax 20K x2, Philips T03 x1, SolarMax Atinic x1, T5 HO Atinic Blue .
bryantleong
Addicted

Awards

[*] posted on 28-7-2010 at 00:24 Reply With Quote

Wao....getting a lot of useful info here...
adimarten23
Excited

Awards

[*] posted on 16-8-2010 at 17:06 Reply With Quote

I have heard about it.It's also called a swamp cooler. The principle is to cool the water by forcing more evaporation to occur. Commonly used in greenhouses or other building where you can easily exhaust the humid air.It would be awesome to run an air duct from the cabinet to outside the house, just like they do with clothes dryers.

fishcommunity
Posting Freak

Mood: Going into FOWLR~

Awards

: AquaFair Volunteer 2008
[?]

[*] posted on 16-8-2010 at 17:57 Reply With Quote

I do agree with most of the members as to the effectiveness of the cooling tower system. It is not efficient due to the amount of evaporation as well as the costs involved.

I have just done my industrial training last year with a semiconductor production company whereby the department im in deals with cooling towers. From there, i realize that those big cooling towers can only reduce the temperature at the region of 3-5 degree celcius, what more a smaller one. And on top of that, to get cold water, the plant uses heavy duty chiller system as well, which goes to show that the temperature drop from the cooling tower is not sufficient.

Furthermore, the maintenance of the cooling tower will not be easy due to the drive belts, fans etc. As mentioned by bro GEKHOO, the fan will corrode rapidly due to the saltwater. All in all, a chiller saves cost and time. hehe! hope this helps but anyways, that was a cool idea..
View User's Profile E-Mail User View All Posts By User U2U Member This User Has MSN Messenger
Post new thread Poll:

Go To Top

Planet Aquatics